VMware Cloud Community
tdukes
Contributor
Contributor

How to install a VM from iso

Hello,

Got my new, old dell Poweredge R420 yesterday. Got ESXi 6.7 installed on the internal USB. Everything looked good at this point.

Went to create my first VM. Wanted to to install Ubuntu 20.04. Unfortunately, everything in the list of linux vms are ancient.

So, I googled around and tried to upload the iso to the storage. Its shows its there but does not show in the list of linux vms available to use. Did I miss a step or two?

So, how does this work? Suppose i wanted to add a Mint linux VM or Kali VM, am I stuck having to only use what's in the list?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
pashnal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Dukes , 

If you want to create a VM from  ISO , Please follow the below steps . 

1. Right Click on ESXI > Create VM > Follow the steps to Provide a name and select the datastore > Then Select the Guest OS choose Linux/Winodows ? Select the flavour (If you dont find the required OS then select other) > done 

2. Right click the VM and > Edit Settings > Select the cd dvd and select datastore iso > select both the check boxes > power on the VM and it should boot from CD rom 

pashnal_0-1652189292710.png

Thanks , 

Pramod Ashnal 

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer/Kudos if this solution resolved your problem Thank you.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Only the OSes listed here will be selectable as options in the UI: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software&details=1&releases...

For anything else, choose an "other" option.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
tdukes
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

I'll look again, but I don't recall seeing the option for 'other'.

I set things up yesterday but have taken it off line as I had to swap out ethernet connections with other PCs since I didn't have enough available ports on my switch for my new machine. New switch should be here today.

Also, thinking about trying v7 to see if it will install.

0 Kudos
tdukes
Contributor
Contributor

OK,

I went ahead and upgraded from 6.5 to 7. Looks like I was able to install Ubuntu 20.04 but its doesn't work. I got the same error yesterday on a Ubuntu version that came with ESXi 6.5 - No operating system found.

Also, both said VMware Tools not installed. When I try to add them, it doesn't. Is that something I need to d/l and install?

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> I got the same error yesterday on a Ubuntu version that came with ESXi 6.5 - No operating system found.

What are you talking about ??? ESXI never came with Ubuntu-isos.
And of course ESXi will tell you that VMware-tools are not installed. You first have to install the Ubuntu itself ...
Check "edit settings"
Very likely you did not check the box "start connected" when selecting the ISO-file ?

Or did you never select an ISO-file and pointed to your ISO on the datastore ? - then I rest my case ...

0 Kudos
tdukes
Contributor
Contributor

ubuntu 32 bit and 64 bit are in my dropdown list to choose from. Not in yours?

0 Kudos
tdukes
Contributor
Contributor

Got it!! I missed some steps. This YT was a alot of help!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mir_3-f8DUY&t=313s

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> ubuntu 32 bit and 64 bit are in my dropdown list to choose from. Not in yours?
good joke !
What has that to do with connecting the ISO ?

Ulli

0 Kudos
tdukes
Contributor
Contributor

Spoiler
LOL!!

I'm just an old retired guy trying to do something to keep my mind active. Probably had a senior moment.

Can't believe how fast I installed Ubuntu 20.04, CentOS 9 Stream and Kali. All 3 in under 30 -45 minutes.
0 Kudos