VMware Cloud Community
Aolha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to install Windows guest

I am trying to install Windows Server 2003 R2 (Enterprise 32bit) using vSphere 4.0 client to a guest server.

The esx host is on a IBM Blade Center with 6 blades and one CD/DVD drive.

The esx administration is on another Windows blade.

I created a guest server on the esx host.

Assigned the CD/DVD drive to the Host Device (/dev/sco/) Status: 1) connected 2) Connect at power on

Switched/assigned the CD/DVD drive on the IBM Blade Center to the esx host server. Inserted the first Windows Server 2003 R2 cd in the drive.

Powered on the guest.

Get a message starting with: Networkboot from Intel E1000 (see attachment)

P.S. I don't know how to load the 2 CDs for the operating system to an iso file onto the esx server.

*I just remembered that there is a problem where the VMware guest are unable to see the CD/DVD drive from the IBM Blade Center.

I believe this is a known problem*

How do i install the operating system?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mikelane
Expert
Expert

It could just be that you need to enter the bios of the virtual machine (F2 if my memory serves me correctly) to change the boot order so that the CD Drive is first.

Otherwise getting an .iso of an OS onto vSphere is quite straight-forward. Free software such as CD Burner XP should allow you to create an .iso from a CD.

Then in the vSphere client right click on the datastore that you want to upload the .iso to and click browse datastore. There is an upload button in the toolbar.

After that you just beed to edit the virtual machine settings to point to the uploaded .iso.

Again you may still need to change the boot order in the bios of the virtual machine

0 Kudos
Aolha
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found anotrher alternative to using the host cd drive.

Got to Edit Setting and click on the CD/DVD 

Select the first option: Client Device

After powering on the vm click on the CD/DVD image on the Tool Bar and select the CD drive from your PC.

0 Kudos