VMware Cloud Community
shans
Contributor
Contributor

How to install ESX 4.0 on an external Raidsystem

Hallo, I've got a Dell R610 Server. There is an internal SAS-Controller with one internal SAS-Disk. The second Host-Adapter is for external SAS-Storage which is connected to an Arena-Raid-System.

When I want to install the VM-Server, then I can only select the intern SAS-Disk (black letters) for installation. The external Disks of the Raid-System (lun0 .. lun2) are visible, but in gray letters, so that you can't select one of them as installion Drive. After Installing ESX 4.0 there is no problem to use the Raid-System for Storage and to create Virtual mashines.

Does annybody know, how I can install the server on the Raid-System.

Thank's for answering Hans

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Datto
Expert
Expert

It sounds like the external RAID array is not setup for being bootable so you're prevented from installing ESX onto the external RAID array.

If you don't have anything valuable on your system at the moment, you might go into the BIOS of the RIAD controller for the external RAID array and see if there is a choice for making it bootable or having it put the BIOS into memory at the bootup of the system. You should see a choice on the bootup for entering the external array SCSI BIOS (or possibly it;'s a choice inside your system BIOS).

Datto

0 Kudos
shans
Contributor
Contributor

Thank's for your answer.

When I start des Hostadapter-Bios py pressing CTRL-C during Boot-Time of the DELL R610 than both Hostadapter-Cards, the internal Card (SAS 6i/R Internal Controller Card RAID) and the extrenal Card (SAS 5/E HBA for external) ist listet. Even I defined the boot-order external than internal, ESX 4.0 dosn't accept the external Drives as install-Disk.

Has annybody an idea what's to do.

Thank's a lot Hans

0 Kudos