VMware Cloud Community
santh
Contributor
Contributor

How to install CLI

Hi,

This is for my understanding how to install VCLI package.

VCLI is a package or tool or template. Where i will get this and which server i will install.

regards,

santh

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

VCLI is a package or tool or template.

vSphere CLI is a set of commands that run on top of the vSphere SDK for Perl. The vSphere CLI installer installs both the vSphere CLI and vSphere SDK for Perl on your management station. There is also the vSphere PowerCLI that provides a Windows PowerShell interface to the vSphere API - basically the same thing as the vSphere CLI but for Windows management stations.

Another (and in my opinion, more simple) option is to download the vSphere Management Assistant (vMA) which is a purpose-built virtual machine with everything you need to run the management commands. You simply import this VM into your existing environment, power it on, configure it and then start using it.

>Where i will get this and which server i will install.

All of the above options can be found here - expand the "Automation Tools and SDKs" item to find the CLI and PowerCLI.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I found the vMA appliance was a simple setup and even easier to use. The PowerCLi we installed on our vCenter server and it too was simple and easy to use. They both give you a lot of flexibility when doing command line management of your environment.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos