VMware Cloud Community
hoogoo
Contributor
Contributor

How to increase ptys in ESXi host.

Hi All,

With ESXi 4.1, I found that I can only open 8 ssh connections at the same time, when I try to open the 9th, there will be error "connection refused,can not allocate ptys", and I found there are 8 ptys (pty0~pty7)in my ESXi host.

I want to know how to increase the pty numbers or if  possible is there another way to support multi-user accessing like "telent,rlogin" from remote ?

thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not have an answer for you but why so many SSH connections to your ESXi host? It is best practice to limit SSH connections

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
hoogoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

ESXi  is Posix OS, It usage tiny ssh,  I don't think it can go beyond this... Still I will try and update ..

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Rather than relying on the physical serial ports on an ESXi host because I do not think it will support enough for a 100 VMs I would look at using a network based serial port hub like this from Digi - http://www.digi.com/products/serialservers/connectportlts

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
hoogoo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks weinstein5 & john23,  I am not trying to connect the serial port on my ESXi host, but the VM's before VM starts. I found a better way to resolve this problem,  that's "if I can run socat on the ESXi host,  I can convert the named pipe to a listening port, then connect to the port will be perfect" , but when I am trying to migrate socat to ESXi host, there are lots of missing libraries.  Is it possilbe to migrate a linux program to ESXi?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

The serial port of a VM does not exist until the VM starts and it is not possible to migrate a Linux program to ESXi without seriously compromising the stability or security of the ESXi host -

0 Kudos
hoogoo
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos