VMware Cloud Community
MarcLaflamme1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to identify underlying disks of storage device?

I'm deploying a new ESXi 5 standalone host and have created 3 separate RAIDs using the controllers interface:

0 = RAID 1 - Disks 0-1 for ESXi

1 = RAID 10 - Disks 2-7 for a VMFS5 datastore

2 = RAID 5 - Disks 8-11 for a VMFS3 datastore

The first one is easy to identify because it's just over 200GB and ESXi is installed there. The issue is when I go to create a new datastore for the other ones, they are both exactly the same size so I can't tell which is the RAID 10 and which is the RAID 5. Is there any way I can figure this out without blowing one away, creating a datastore, creating the second RAID set and then creating the second datastore?

VMware references naa.number but this isn't referenced anywhere in the RAID controllers setup. I tried poking around esxcli but couldn't see anything useful (used https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10149...)

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MBrownWFP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting... I just poked around on a few hosts we have running with multiple local datastores. I can't find an easy way tie datastore to array object either. In our case it's not important because both arrays are the same layout and config.

Your suggested approach of doing one array at a time is probably the easiest and quickest method.

Matt

0 Kudos
MarcLaflamme1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Matt. I'll probably end up doing that on Monday but I'll leave this open over the weekend... maybe a grey beard has a few tricks up their sleeve...

0 Kudos