VMware Cloud Community
mohan1044
Contributor
Contributor

How to find reason for esx host is in maintenance mode

Hello everyone,

I am new to this world and need all of your support.

how to find why my esxi server kept on maintenance mode. as I can see multiple esx host are kept in maintenance mode in our environment, but I dont know why it is in maintenance mode.

is there any way I can find why those hosts are in Maintenance mode.

Thanks in advance.

Mohan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Assuming that users use different credentials, you may start with checking the host's Tasks&Events, to find out who enabled Maintenance mode for the host.

André

0 Kudos
mohan1044
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply, I agree with your points. but in our case I can see who enabled maintenance mode but there is no description on why it was moved to maintenance mode and the guy who did this task is no more with company. so I need to know the reason for MM purpose. I can see Host hardware health looks good.

0 Kudos
Finikiez
Champion
Champion

The reason to enter a host into maintenance mode is just a text box which is optional to fill up. It's like when you restart windows OS and can type a comment why you do this.

Generally speaking host could be placed into maintenance mode because of some HW issues or other problems.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

If the guy didn't leave a comment when entering maintenance mode, the only reason you'll know his motivations is to pick up the phone and ask him Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
ShekharRana
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If User did not mentioned reason behind putting host into maintenance than it is not possible to get the reason until you do not ask him.

If there is no HW issue than Check ESXi networking that networking Config is matching with other Hosts in the cluster and put it in production.

0 Kudos