VMware Cloud Community
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to find out which account was used to join vCenter

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone knows how you can find out which account was used to join hosts to vCenter.  We are trying to track this down for an older install but can't seem to find it anywhere???

Any help would be greatly appricated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It has to be Root - adding a host to vcenter requires root level priveledges and I do know of any way to SUDO and add the host it would have to have been done as root - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

for us, we join all our hosts to vCenter using the root account of the ESX/ESXi Hosts. I believe this is common practice.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I second Troy - best practice is to use Root to join the host to vCenter - if you are worried that root is contued ot be used do not worry - a user (vpxuser) is created on the host with a complex password and from then on it is with this user that vCenter connects to the host -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yeah we where figuring it was the root password we just wanted to confirm.  The setup was done awhile ago and the person who set it up isn't here anymore.  Any way to confirm for sure if it was the root account that was used ?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as far as vCenter logs are concerned you'll only see "Add Standalone Host" but it will have not information regarding what account was used other than the account in vCenter that initiated the add host task.

On the ESX Host you may want to check the vpxa.log

/var/log/vmware/vpx/vpxa.log

0 Kudos
JESX35
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I checked the log but can't seem to find that Add Standalone Host

We just want to make sure it was the root account that was used.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

vCenter logs won't tell you.  You're best best is to look through the vpxa logs.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It has to be Root - adding a host to vcenter requires root level priveledges and I do know of any way to SUDO and add the host it would have to have been done as root - 

0 Kudos