VMware Cloud Community
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

How to extend C:\ OS drive on Windows 2008 R2 (64bit) without downtime!!!!

Hello,

It's been quite a while since I used VMTN forum, I'm in need to find best solution to extend Windows 2008 R2 (64bit) C:\OS drive and requires no downtime.  I've been using many options before but sounds to be some limitations to requires downtime or 32 bit instead of 64 bit anyone has any clue would be greatly appreciated.

Options:

1. Use 2nd virtual machine as a helper

2. Use vmkfstools commands line

3. Use Dell ExtPart tool this is live and no downtime but doesn't support x64 bit Smiley Sad  works great with 32 bit

4. Use 3rd party tools like Magic Partition or any other tools (anything I can try using free trial would be cool)?

Any thoughts or trick would be awesome?

Azn2kew

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am convinced that W2K8 Server and higher suport extend volume without 3rd party tools and without downtime.

See e.g. here: How to Extend a Disk Partition in Windows Vista and Server 2008

View solution in original post

3 Replies
vlho
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am convinced that W2K8 Server and higher suport extend volume without 3rd party tools and without downtime.

See e.g. here: How to Extend a Disk Partition in Windows Vista and Server 2008

azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I just tested in the lab and it works fine using:

1. Edit VM settings and increase the size you wanted

2. Access Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management

3. If you don't see new space show up you click on "More Action" and Scan then it will show new space

4. Right click on the C:\Windows partition and choose "Extend Volume" and then just click "Next" and "OK" and it should show up fine with new space assigned.

Quick and easy!  Thanks all

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Wow I thought I was in a time warp for a second or you'd mistyped 2008 and meant 2003...  Even with 2003 there is a great little Dell utility you can expand 2003 OS partition with = extpart.

0 Kudos