VMware Cloud Community
WillL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to enable HT Hyper Threading inside guest OS?

Hi,

Our software license is based on core, eg 8 core license allows 8 core 16 thread CPUs.

Our physical hosts have HT enabled but I can't figure out how to setup Windows 2012 VM to see HT? I want to allocate 16 vCPU, and in Windows VM shows up as 8 core 16 logical processor. So far it's always 16 core 16 logical processor. I've tried all three HT Sharing options.

C:\> WMIC CPU Get DeviceID,NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessors,SocketDesignation

DeviceID  NumberOfCores  NumberOfLogicalProcessors  SocketDesignation

CPU0      8              8                          CPU socket #0

CPU1      8              8                          CPU socket #1

Thanks in advance!

Will

0 Kudos
7 Replies
PaulLab3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IMO you cant do this.

ESXi shows CPUs to VM which are pCPU for guestOS.

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

HT is featured comes with Physical CPU  and it is enabled on the H/W bios level . I haven't see an option to enable HT from GOS  because it should be on the H/W platform level (CPU / BIOS)

VM you have option enable / disable HT

update1.JPG

Hyperthreaded Core Sharing: Any (default setting)

Using this setting the VM shares HT-enabled cores with other VMs.

Hyperthreaded Core Sharing: None

This setting is equal to “Hyperthreading disabled”.
The VM’s vCPU has exclusive access to a core whenever it is scheduled. The vCPU will not share the core with another vCPU.

Hyperthreaded Core Sharing: Internal

This setting applies only for VM’s with two or more vCPUs.
The result is, that two vCPUs from the same virtual machine can share one physical core, but it will never share the core with the vCPU from another VM.

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
johnw230873
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

someone has to ask it, Why?? Smiley Happy

Yep can say I've heard of it either normally if it is a license issue then you change the socket / core ratio in the config of the VM.

0 Kudos
WillL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

won't help in this case of core based license, different story if socket based license.

0 Kudos
WillL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Obviously HT Sharing option None would give best possible performance, but waste same amount of logical cores.Hard to tell between Any and Internal which would give better performance?

0 Kudos
WillL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think you are right, it's not possible. ESXi would need to guarantee to schedule 8 core 16 threads every time to the 16 vCPU Guest OS, for that reason it won't let Guest OS see HT.

0 Kudos
aranguiz82
Contributor
Contributor

Please check this KB article, in ESX 5.X the license version is an important information.

I hope that help you.

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&externalId=...

Regards.

0 Kudos