VMware Cloud Community
wjstarck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to edit .vmx file ESXi 4

I get the following message in my event log: Insufficient video RAM. The maximum resolution of the virtual machine will be limited to 1520 X 1140 at 16 bits per pixel. To use the configured maximum resolution of 2360 x1170 at 16 bits per pixel, increase the amount of video RAM allocated to the virtual machine by setting svga.vramSize="16708800" in the virtual machine's configuration file.

I take it I need to use the vSphere CLI app to make this change?

I am able to get the path to the .vmx using the CLI, but am not sure what to do next to actually edit the file.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use vifs from the vCLI to copy the vmx file locally and then to upload it again. You could also use the datastore browser for that. If you edit the VM you can also set the video memory on that screen (select the video card virtual device).

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can use vifs from the vCLI to copy the vmx file locally and then to upload it again. You could also use the datastore browser for that. If you edit the VM you can also set the video memory on that screen (select the video card virtual device).

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
wjstarck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datastore browser was the answer.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
AnTaixing
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi

I'm facing the same problem, can you explain in more details?

thanks

Taixing

0 Kudos
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos