VMware Cloud Community
petersonmd
Contributor
Contributor

How to edit/remove oem.xml

This is a basic UI problem that I can't figure out how to fix.  It doesn't affect anything except my OCD.   We are running  ESXi 7.0U3 - but for some reason, during the upgrade, the file that contains the text that we're running a customized Dell image was not deleted.  Every time I login to the web console, ESXi informs me that we're running 6.0.0U2 A02, even though we're obviously not.  The text is contained in /etc/vmware/oem.xml, but ESXi 7 won't let me chmod / rm the file.  Any ideas on how to get around this?  It's really just an annoyance...but one I'd like to fix. 

Screenshot.png

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aakalan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I wouldn't think about this. Also 6.0 is not supported anymore 🙂

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

@aakalan 
Why do you suggest not to edit files just because you would not do it ?
The scenario here looks like a very good reason to edit this file - and your argument that 6.0 is not supported anymore is completely irrelevant in this case.

Ulli

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

When you cant edit or delete a file in /etc try this approach.
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2043564
Maybe you can get access at boot-time.
Is your state.tgz encrypted ? - if not you could eventually remove the file or replace it with a fixed one by repackaging the state.tgz

Ulli

petersonmd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks...I'll take a look.  As I said, it's just a cosmetic/UI issue that doesn't affect functionality whatsoever.  I just don't login to the console very often (no need to), and I always do a double-take seeing the warning and double-check to make sure that yes, I'm on 7.x.

0 Kudos