VMware Cloud Community
jamesnb
Contributor
Contributor

How to download/install the ESXi 7 latest updates?

Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to ESXi so your patience is highly appreciated. I have 2 questions:

Question 1:

I recently downloaded and installed the free ESXi version 7 to test our some of features before moving to the acutal production hardware

Few days ago, there was a newer update, I think it is version ESXi 7 update 2a (out on April 29)

I tried to login to my account on Customer Connect to download the updates. But, it does not allow me to download, error: 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"You either are not entitled or do not have permissions to download this product.
Check with your My VMware Super User, Procurement Contact or Administrator.
If you recently purchased this product through VMware Store or through a third-party, try downloading later."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So I was just wondering is it because I am using the free edition of the ESXi 7.0 and will not be allowed/able to download any updates?

Question 2:

Assuming that I could download the updates, what is/are the best way to install the updates on the running ESXi server?

Any helps is really appreciated

Thank you

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Q1.) Direct downloads of patch bundles is only permitted for users with paid licenses. However, it's possible to patch ESXi from VMware's online depot.

Q2.) VMware provides several methods for updating/patching ESXi. For a free, or stand alone installation you can either go with the command line option (my preferred option), or with an interactive approach by using a newer installation image.

Please keep in mind that most major vendors offer customized ESXi images, which include additional drivers, and tools that support their hardware. Most of these vendor customized are available from the VMware web site (for customers with paid license).

André

jamesnb
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Andre for your details information

I have done the command line updates, all good to go now.

You mentioned about the "customized ESXi images", we are using DELL server, could you please point me to the Dell server session on VMware website to have a look at those customized image?

Thank you again for your helps

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

Attached links that can help you

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/vmware-esxi-7.x/vmware_7.0_icg_pub/introduction?guid=guid...

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=1gcf7

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.