VMware Cloud Community
spupazza
Contributor
Contributor

How to 'display' guest OS on the host machine through cli

I've installed ESXI on an old laptop as a way to learn how to use it.

I've also installed a vm machine, which I can manage from the web interface on my pc.

Now I need to use the Guest os from the laptop ( on which ESXI installation and the guest OS installation reside ).

I enabled the shell and the ssh. I also powered on the vm from the comman line. But how do I display the virtual machine on the laptop?

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

you can't. ESXi doesn't offer an option to display the guest OS screen directly on the host.

André

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are support for such a variety of guest OSes that the single common method of accessing the UI of a VM is to open the ”console” of the VM - you access this from the vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client.

Alternatively, you can use tools which are native to the guest OS (such as RDP for a Windows guest)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog