VMware Cloud Community
forrie
Contributor
Contributor

How to disconnect attached ISO install image after OS installation ( linux kickstart)?

I have an annoying problem with 5.5 and kickstarting servers whereby when the installation finishes and reboots, I have to go into the vSphere console and manually disconnect the attached ISO so the real OS will boot, instead of the installation ISO.

It seems there ought to be some way to automatically disconnect this device after the OS install/config so this isn't necessary?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
SatyS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I understand that you have esx 5.5 which holds linux VM.

if thats the case,after installation,in esx server just make service usbarbitrator off.

So,the iso wont be available for the VMs residing inside the host.

-Satys

If you find this useful,please mark the answer as correct/helpful

Regards,
SatyS
http://myvirtuallearning.wordpress.com/

0 Kudos
Atomliu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think there is no way in disconnecting the installation ISO automatically since the host can not judge whether the installation is finished or not.

But in this case it is same to physical installation, you just leave it alone when reboots so it can just boot from other options except CD/DVD.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well you can always set the first boot as harddisk in BIOS of the VM and secondboot as CDROM

0 Kudos
VMHeder
Contributor
Contributor

Hi zXi_G,

You can disconnect the .iso in edit settings the virtual machine, or you can select the priority the boot, in boot order.

0 Kudos
forrie
Contributor
Contributor

I guess there's no easy way around it; I agree the boot order is probably sensible for a new image; though, if you need to boot off an ISO like Clonezilla to expand the disk image, you have to go back into the BIOS and reconfigure.   I think I'll just deal with it as-is for now -- but I thought perhaps there might be some API call I could send through the vtoolsd that would detach the ISO for the system to reboot.

0 Kudos