VMware Cloud Community
Leica
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to disable the screen saver?

On the console of ESXi the display dims from a nice yellow/grey to a dark and barely visible black. This happens in like a minute! So impatient!

How can I disable or extend the timeout for this "screen saver"?

Thanks!

P.S. Frankly I don't see the point of it. You can still see everything anyway and it doesn't save any energy. All it does is save the phosphors of a CRT monitor, if such still exist!

5 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It is not for power or saving the screen but more for security - with an ESXi host potentially hostin 100 running VMs you want to make sure no unauthorized access the host console - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Leica
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No I am not talking about the screen locking and preventing viewing and changes without a password. This of course like you say is a great security feature. This has a timeout of 10 minutes. So after 10 minutes of inactivity it goes to the home screen and locks the keyboard.

I am talking about the screen dimming to a barely visible dark grey, from a nice a visible yellow. This has a timeout of exactly one minute (far too low). Also when the screen dims it does not lock the screen! So it is in no way a security feature.

I hope this is clear now.

0 Kudos
seetee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've never considered it to be an issue.  Pressing the spacebar makes the screen change from barely visible dark grey to the nice visible yellow.  This is consistent.....so it has never bothered me.

Once configured, do you do a lot of things through the ESXi console interface except reboot/shutdown; Enable ESXi shell; Enable SSH; Restart Management Agents?

0 Kudos
Leica
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree that there isn't much point to using the ESXi console. One hardly needs it. Still, I was wondering if there was a way anyhow.

And at the moment I have an ESXi guest running in VMWare Fusion on my Mac, so it is a bit annoying that the screen keeps going dark.

jimm201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree with you, . Having screen saver inside a virtual machine makes no sense but annoyance.

0 Kudos