VMware Cloud Community
skumar01
Contributor
Contributor

How to disable HBA card/Port from ESX

I have two HBA cards installed in HP BL 460c with ESXi 4.1. I want to disable one HBA card from the esx. Please suggest.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

Afalk, only way to disable the one HBA from esx, You can disable the driver using esxcfg-module -d <module>.

But in this case next reboot, driver will not load, but if both the HBA from same vendor it will disable both of them Smiley Sad

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you should be able to do it from thde esx server bios.

TM

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

Hey TM,

Can you tell the option in BIOS.

0 Kudos
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it will not be in the general bios......you will have to press the correct key combination while the server boots up ....for an hp server its cntrl+E:

Configuring HBA
After reboot go to the BIOS of the Emulex HBA by pressing [Ctrl]-[E] at the right moment

• Press [Ctrl]-[E] during boot of the Emulex HBA
  • Do the following for both HBA adapters
  • Select board ‘1’
  • Choose ‘2’ Configure this adapter’s parameters
  • Choose ‘4’ Topology Selection
  • Choose ‘4’ Fabric Point-to-Point
  • Press ESC to return
  • Do NOT Reboot... first configure the other adapter the way u want

TM

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

Fabric point to point will disable the HBA card?

0 Kudos
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

no no i just gave an example you can select the hba / hba port you want to disable and disable it appropriately....dont u see an option to disable it?

TM

0 Kudos
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

after selecting the appropriate port/hba just look around...u will see the option to disable/enable.....i dont remember the exact option .

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

I am not getting the option... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
timemachine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i think ur right....i just checked....it seems there is no software option only h/w option ie by not connecting the san cable to the hba card u dont want to use Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
skumar01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Guys,

Hardware disable is not my requirement, I have to enable and disable my HBA card one by one without any reboot.

Please suggest anyother way. Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

May I know, what exactly requirement is? Port enable disable from switch can also fulfil this.

0 Kudos
skumar01
Contributor
Contributor

We have to do HBA enable/disable twice a month for some activity and Switch activity can be done by storage team only. We are from vmware team and want to perfom it from our end only don't want to reach to storage team to do that everymonth.

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

Thanks for the explaination.

In this case, you can do the port disable using esxcfg-mpath. suppose all 4 path is going to same lun. You can disable three paths using esxcfg-mpath

0 Kudos
stinklyonion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i agree. i always use esxcfg-mpath which can even disable multiple ports/HBA card. thanks as this would be a refresher as well.http://posting.info.tm/wink.gif

0 Kudos