VMware Cloud Community
AlexEv123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to create readonly ESXI user

I need to create readonly account for access to my VmWare server. But unfortunately in my web panel there are nothing permission tab or link. How is possible to make readonly account?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @AlexEv123 ,

I am assuming this is a standalone ESXi host. Once the user is created, right click on the 'Host' at the left pane --> Permissions --> Add user and select the role as 'Read-only'

Permissions.JPGAdd users.JPG

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ashil have mentioned the GUI way. Alternatively, you can use the commands below :

esxcli system account add -d "description" -i "username" -p "password" -c "password"
esxcli system permission set -i "username" -r ReadOnly

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @AlexEv123 ,

I am assuming this is a standalone ESXi host. Once the user is created, right click on the 'Host' at the left pane --> Permissions --> Add user and select the role as 'Read-only'

Permissions.JPGAdd users.JPG

Hope that helps

amohammadimir
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ashil have mentioned the GUI way. Alternatively, you can use the commands below :

esxcli system account add -d "description" -i "username" -p "password" -c "password"
esxcli system permission set -i "username" -r ReadOnly

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
AlexEv123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you, both way is possible, but unfortunately VmWare web GUI working wrong and permanently ask root login for any operation.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I think you forgot to check the "Propagate to all children", so your ReadOnly user has no access to the VM objects ...

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos