VMware Cloud Community
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

How to create a local user for ESX Web Access ?

Hi, in my last post,

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1444920#1444920 I have activated web access.

But what's the best practice to create a temporary user directly on the esx to give the VM access via web access console ?

Thanks.

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can have a user setup for local access to ESX and it not be seen by vCenter. ESX does not synx it's user base with vCenter.

If you have vCenter, just create a folder in your virtual machines and templates view, move the VM in question into the newly created folder and add the AD user account with permissions to that folder and assign a role. You can then just have them access vCenter and all they will see, if the user doesn't have permissions anywhere else in your vCenter hierarchy, is the single guest.

But, if you don't have vCenter you will have to create a local account on the ESX Host

Hope this makes sense.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can create a user in ESX, add them to the users group, then give that user permissions to the the guest in question. Finally email them the Virtual Machine shortcut you generated . When they first login, they may be promoted to install the VMware Remote Console.

zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks again troy, but a last question.

From vSphere, is it possible to reach local esx user ?

For ex, I have created a user directly on the ESX, but this user is not visible under vSphere, because the tab is different, the part local user is missing.

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you can have a user setup for local access to ESX and it not be seen by vCenter. ESX does not synx it's user base with vCenter.

If you have vCenter, just create a folder in your virtual machines and templates view, move the VM in question into the newly created folder and add the AD user account with permissions to that folder and assign a role. You can then just have them access vCenter and all they will see, if the user doesn't have permissions anywhere else in your vCenter hierarchy, is the single guest.

But, if you don't have vCenter you will have to create a local account on the ESX Host

Hope this makes sense.

0 Kudos
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ok, it's clear enough for me Smiley Wink

Regards

0 Kudos
benp23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For an existing user, when you say "give that user permissions to the the guest in question" for web access, where is this accomplished? I can't seem to give a user access to a remote console URL.

Can one not use domain accounts for web access?

Regards,

benp23

0 Kudos
benp23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a more detailed explanation of what I'm attempting to accomplish. Ideas?

Thanks,

benp23

0 Kudos