VMware Cloud Community
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

How to copy a file into my ESXi host?

Since my console complains when I try to install VMware tools that it is missing in /usr/lib etc. I decided I would try to copy it in there. I created another user besides root and used WINscp to try to get in. I was able to almost get to the folder that I needed once but since cannot. Some suggested VEEMscp so I downloaded and installed and I can see the 2 datastores but no /usr host stuff etc. Any ideas out there? This seems way more difficult than it should be.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Didnt think you could browse into the files system of ESXi, The way I get files on and off the ESXi 5 servers I have is copy them to the local VMFS partition, or where you can get to, then SSH into the server and move or copy it into the location you need, so the reverse would work to get files off.

Just an idea, Its what ive done to get some esxtop batch files off, before I realized i couldn't use SCP to browse to where I needed.

________________________________________ Blog: http://virtualiseme.net.au VCDX #201 Author of Mastering vRealize Operations Manager
0 Kudos
mydearcosmo
Contributor
Contributor

That is what I did on my end and it works perfectly. Just like copying and pasting a file from one folder to another.

0 Kudos