VMware Cloud Community
kurtwalters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How to convert a ESXi 4.0 VMWare Machine to run on VMWare Player

Hi Experts

I am new to VMWare and need some help, we are currently running ESXi 4.0, I have the following installed on our Windows server (Windows Server 2003 - Std Edition SP2):

- VMWare vSphere Client 4.0

- VMWare vSphere Host Update Utility 4.0

- VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone

Currently we have x2 VM Machines on our ESXi server (ISSDBN01 & ISSSAP), the installation of ISSAP has Windows Server 2008 Standard Editon R2 and SAP, I am now wanting to convert this VM Machine (ISSAP) so I can play it on / through VMWare Player. My steps were as follows:

- Power off the machine that needs converting

- Make sure I am on the Users & Groups settings

- Convert the VM Machine (ISSSAP) using VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone

When the conversion is finished it converts it to a 145GB file (this is stored on a external harddrive and the machine has x2 100GB drives = C Drive and Data Drive), I select the .vmx file with VMWare Player (version 3.0.1.11056) which I am running off my Laptop (which is running Windows Vista Business SP2, 4GB of RAM), but it doesn't seem to boot up it keeps saying "Windows is loading Files", I googled it and came across someone adding the resolution settings to the .vmx file.

I am not to sure what to do now as I need to convert this machine as soon as possible as I have to get a copy of this machine and do test upgrades (As the server is going to be broken up and most parts used for our Hosted Server); can someone help me on what steps I need to take to make sure I convert it correctly so I can play this converted machine through VMWare Player.

Thanks very much for any help, much appreciated.

Regards

Kurt Walters

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello Kurt,

I just have a question regarding my converted machine, is there any best practice or a better way to converting a VM Machine.

There's not really a best practice. The most important part of the conversion is the selection of the correct controller (as you did) and disk size/provisioning type. The other settings depend on what you want to achieve. After conversion, review the VM's settings to make sure everything is as it should be (e.g. Guest OS, controller, network, ...)

You may also download the latest version of VMware Converter 4.3 which supports for Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7.

Thanks very much for your help is has been extremely useful and appreciated.

You are welcome. If you think so, don't hesitate to use the "Correct" and/or "Helpful" buttons Smiley Wink

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

as far as I can see, the steps you took are absolutely correct. Please take a look at the VM's settings and make sure the OS is set correctly (W2K8R2). Also make sure your PC has VT (Virtualization Technology) enabled in the BIOS, otherwise you won't be able to start a 64-bit guest OS. After enabling VT in the BIOS power cycle the PC, a simple reboot may not be sufficient.

André

0 Kudos
kurtwalters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre

Thanks very much for the reply; with regards to your points:

- "PC has VT (Virtualization Technology) enabled in the BIOS" = this should be active as I have a Windows 2003 SP2 Server that I can run on my laptop using VMWare Player, this VM Machine is on an external harddrive

- Please take a look at the VM's settings and make sure the OS is set correctly (W2K8R2) = I think this maybe correct as it does stipulate Windows Server 2008 (64-Bit) as per attached. I will double check but am sure all is correct.

Let me know of any other ideas I may need to have / use.

Regards

Kurt Walters

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Kurt,

VT ... this should be active as I have a Windows 2003 SP2 ...

Please double check in the BIOS. VT is needed for 64-bit guest OSs. If your version of Windows 2003 is 32-bit it will run regardless of the VT setting.

... correct OS setting ...

What I meant is to double check the setting for the guest in VMware Player.

André

0 Kudos
kurtwalters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre

Ok I will do that, thanks for the quick replies.

Regards

Kurt

0 Kudos
kurtwalters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre

Your question was spot on, I had to Enable the VT in my BIOS and the converted machine works; I just have a question regarding my converted machine, is there any best practice or a better way to converting a VM Machine.

I have attached my config on what I selected when converting my machine except for Disk Controller where I selected "SCSI CSI Logic SAS".

Regards

Kurt Walters

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello Kurt,

I just have a question regarding my converted machine, is there any best practice or a better way to converting a VM Machine.

There's not really a best practice. The most important part of the conversion is the selection of the correct controller (as you did) and disk size/provisioning type. The other settings depend on what you want to achieve. After conversion, review the VM's settings to make sure everything is as it should be (e.g. Guest OS, controller, network, ...)

You may also download the latest version of VMware Converter 4.3 which supports for Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7.

You are welcome. If you think so, don't hesitate to use the "Correct" and/or "Helpful" buttons Smiley Wink

André

0 Kudos
kurtwalters
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Andre

Thanks very much for the help.

Regards

Kurt Walters

0 Kudos