VMware Cloud Community
hkok
Contributor
Contributor

How to convert ESXi standard vswitch to distributed?

The HP Proliant DL360 has 4 nic and I plan to use 2 nic connected to the Arista Switch to do LACP based NIC teaming.  I am not able to see any method converting my vSphere "standard vswitch" (vswitch) to a "distributed vswitch" (dvswitch) because the instruction seems to refer LACP require link aggregation created from a dvswitch.   Can someone point me how to go about doing so?

I look at the vSphere 6.0 Documentation Center, but I cannot see the Distributed Switch option available to me.  Does that means additional licensing is require to be enable this distributed switch option?  It doesn't appear to require any additional software to be install otherwise.

On the Arista switch, I can force a static channel group on but that is not true LACP.  When I turn on LACP, the network to the management switch goes offline.  I am confuse so any help or guidance will be much appreciated.  Thank you

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
thibaudpeter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

VMware vDS is a feature available in vSphere Enterprise Plus edition
Overview of vNetwork Distributed Switch concepts (1010555) | VMware KB

http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/whitepaper/vmware-vsphere_pricing-w...

To create/manage the vDS, you need to go to the vCenter server (web client) in the networking section.

To migrate Standard Switch to Distributed Switch, there are plenty of video online about that topic.

Show Me How: Migrating To The Distributed Switch - YouTube

vmware migrate standard switch to distributed switch - YouTube

Regarding LACP, of course once you're using a vDS with at least 2 uplink you can create a LACP port-channel. And if your switch is configure correctly, both uplink will stay active.

Regards

0 Kudos