VMware Cloud Community
vivasindustries
Contributor
Contributor

How to connect the host to the internet via PPPoE connection ?

Hi there guys!

I am really new to VMWARE and i am wondedring how i can connect my ESXi host to the internet with PPPoE connection.

I know that the direct connection with PPPoE to the internet is inposible so i have to create a virtual machine and make it router. I hope i understanded that correctly.

So can you please give me any information how i can make the real IP that comes with this PPPoE account a menagment IP for the ESXi host.host

My server have two network cards and i have TWO PPPoE accounts. Right now i have connected my personal PPPoE account to the internet with an real machine router and from there i have pluged an local cable to the first lan card of my host. And this cable gives me the ability to menage my host via ip like 192.168.1.100.

In the other LAN card of my server i have directly inserted a seperate cable which is going to be connected to the second PPPoE account and obtain an real ip like 98.34.12.67(real example.).

My question is how i can make my host accessable for menagment with the real IP of 98.34.12.67 insted of this local adress.

Is it even possible and how i can achieve it, does it have something to do with the firewall ?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
cykVM
Expert
Expert

Hi,

you were given a lot options in your other discussions. I would still recommend to use a physical router for now and do some reading about network setup and pfSense as a VM afterwards.

So can you please give me any information how i can make the real IP that comes with this PPPoE account a menagment IP for the ESXi host.

You should not expose the management network to the internet. Do management from the internal (non-public) network. If you expose the management network you may experience this for example: ESXi 5.5 hacked, next moves

And do not post your public IP, edit you initial post and delete or obfuscate that IP.

ESXi has only a very basic firewall which gives you kind of low level protection. Put a real router in between with a fully configurable firewall and put up some VPN for management access.

0 Kudos