VMware Cloud Community
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to configure syslog in ESXi 4.1

Hi,

We have total 10 ESXi 4.1 hosts  configured in HA&DRS cluster and total 14 FC LUNs are mapped to all these host.Now I want to configured Syslog for all these hosts. Accordingly I have configured the Syslog datastore path in Advance Settings on one host. But still logs are not getting stored on this configured path. I have tried restarting mgmt service and ESXi host but still no luck.

Can someone help me out to successful configuration of Syslog for ESXi 4.1.

Regards,

KC

0 Kudos
5 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert

Did you go through this KB?: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101662...

You can configure your ESXi hosts with PowerCLI to get them all logging to the same syslog server.

Something like this would configure all the hosts in the cluster...

Get-Cluster 'Your Cluster Name' | Get-VMHost | Set-VMHostSysLogServer -SysLogServer 10.1.1.10 -SysLogServerPort 514
0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I have already done all the steps shown in the given KB. Creaded one folder on Datastore and in advance settings given path of that folder in "Syslog.Local.DatastorePath" - [datastorename]/folder name. But still logs are not getting moved to this path.

Regards,

Kc

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Creaded one folder on Datastore and in advance settings given path of that folder in "Syslog.Local.DatastorePath" - [datastorename]/folder name. But still logs are not getting moved to this path

Did you also configured your host to use the syslog server for storing th logs files using vMA or vCLI??

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, I have configured any Syslog server for this host. Actually I want to trasnfer the host logs path to the folder created FC LUN which is mapped to this host.

Regards,

KC

0 Kudos
kiranchavan30
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Ths issue got resolved. Actually I was not putting .log extension for the file, hence the message file was not generating on datastore. Now I have the messages.log file stored on the datastore and new log file is getting generated post ESXi 4.1 host restart.

Regards,

KC

0 Kudos