VMware Cloud Community
Anonuserman
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure ESX to have different subnet

I have a server with 1 physical NIC cards dual port. Im using ESX 4.1 . Initially only port NIC card was connected

to LAN and another free.

I have 8 vm's and still dont have connection. I will divide the VM in to 2 different subnet. eg. 4 vm using 10.10.1.x and 4 others will using 10.250.1.x. The ESX also will use different subnet eg 10.2.1.x.

Is it posible to do it? please help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Anonuserman,

Welcome to the forums.

It will depend whether all subnets use the same physical network or not. If you use the same physical network then having at least a single attachment to it will allow you to connect all your virtual machines.

But if you have a dedicated physical network for every subnet, you need to have a physical link attached to each network.

Good luck.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

Hi,

I see, you are having only 1 NIC available with your machine. So, you wl be having all the three port groups on only one physical NIC's. Thus, the connection between the machines won't be a problem. One thing, you can have Vswitch configured accordingly to have multiple VLAN's. Let the VM's use a single VLAN for connection and use tagging for connecting those. And yes you can having different subnets for ESX and 2 sets of VM.

Regards,

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
beckham007fifa

Hi,

I see, you are having only 1 NIC available with your machine. So, you wl be having all the three port groups on only one physical NIC's. Thus, the connection between the machines won't be a problem. One thing, you can have Vswitch configured accordingly to have multiple VLAN's. Let the VM's use a single VLAN for connection and use tagging for connecting those. And yes you can have different subnets for ESX and 2 sets of VM.

Regards,

Regards, ABFS
0 Kudos
KrishK
Contributor
Contributor

Ensure that the physical switch port to which the ESX physical NIC is connected is configured as TRUNK port to allow multiple VLAN traffic between VLANs.

Its recommeded to have different portgroups (Subnets) for service console, VMotion, iSCSI, NFS and VM traffics but still we can do it with risks.

0 Kudos