VMware Cloud Community
Shbagautdinov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to check which version of VVol is in use by the connected datastore

Hello! I have attached a VVol datastore (Enpoint protocol NFC) to my ESXi 7 host. Where in vsphere client I can check what version of vvol is in use (1.0 or 2.0)? Or provide me please cli command. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
paudieo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The best way to look first is at the VMware HCL 

for example for a given storage array

you can look at the HCL e.g. https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vvols
once you find your applicable array

you can take a look at their VASA provider and what spec it is associated with see attached VMware-Compatability-Guide.png

Your best bet is to ask your storage vendor for confirmation on their VASA provider spec and what vVOL version its qualified for,

They can then tell you what feature set is exposed , you may also see the feature set exposed when you create a policy based on the VASA provider

View solution in original post

6 Replies
paudieo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I am not sure I understand the question . are you talking about the VASA version  the VASA provider is using or the code version of the storage array used?

0 Kudos
Shbagautdinov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello paudieo! Thank you for your reply.

I mean VVOL version. 

version 1.0 was released with esxi 6.0

version 2.0 was released with esxi 6.5

I want to be sure that it is using vvol 2.0 when I connect the vvol datastore to my esxi 7.0 host.

Or its not possible to connect vvol version 1.0 to ESXi 6.5 and newer?

so it would be nice if I saw version of vvol somewhere as I see version of vmfs for example. 

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

that's not how it works. it doesn't connect with vvols 1 or 2. vvols 1 or 2 refers to the specification of vvols. meaning the features which are part of the version. the vvols 2 specification for instance comes with support for replication.

Shbagautdinov
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello depping!

Thank you very much for your reply!

Ok, and how can I determine which feature set the vvol datastore is connected to the host with?

0 Kudos
paudieo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The best way to look first is at the VMware HCL 

for example for a given storage array

you can look at the HCL e.g. https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=vvols
once you find your applicable array

you can take a look at their VASA provider and what spec it is associated with see attached VMware-Compatability-Guide.png

Your best bet is to ask your storage vendor for confirmation on their VASA provider spec and what vVOL version its qualified for,

They can then tell you what feature set is exposed , you may also see the feature set exposed when you create a policy based on the VASA provider

paudieo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Another hint, is  you can check under the Storage Providers on the vCenter Server

Select vCenter Server -> Configure --> Storage Providers

Idenify the storage provider you configure and take a look at the VASA version 

paudieo_0-1611341096714.png

The VASA  version compliance doesnt mean that a given feature is implemented or exposed by the storage vendor, so best check with them