VMware Cloud Community
Satvinder
Contributor
Contributor

How to check which operating system drive is created on which disk of Virtual machine ?

We have disk numbers on Virtual Machine (Disk 1, Disk 2 ... etc) and in operating system( In computer management-> Disk mgmt: Disk 0, Disk 1 ..etc). How to check which operating system drive is created on which disk of Virtual machine ? If all virtual machine disks are of same size.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello and welcome to the forums.

You can usually use the msinfo32 utility to get the info you are after.  The free RVTools can also be useful.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Satvinder
Contributor
Contributor

Please see attached picture. In virtual machine Disk numbers start from Disk 1 and in operating system disk number starts from Disk 0.

In attached picture, I want to know which  VM Hard disk is  D drive of operating system.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

you can not do this in a reliabel way

you can not assume that driveletters are assigned in a logical sequence as this can be configured in diskmanagement of every guest in a different way

0 Kudos
Satvinder
Contributor
Contributor

How to do this ? There is snapshot backup configured on basis on vm disk number. I have to request snapshot restore for OS D drive.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hmm ... you probably know that you can not easily go back to snapshot of a single vmdk of a VM with multiple disks.

Did you mess up the D:drive of an existing VM while the rest is still ok ?

We could consider workarounds but we need to know the full story 😉

0 Kudos
Satvinder
Contributor
Contributor

It is a file server and there are some user profile shares. User lost some data in share and want restore for the same.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I would do this - not sure if it applies here as I do not have any details such as guestOS

amount of snapshots and so on ...

• power of the VM
  • launch the VDDK mount tool on your admin host
  • make an educated guess which snapshot number you need to look at  - example fileserver-disk*-000027.vmdk (just an example)
  • mount each vmdk - with the correct snapshot number one by one in readonly mode
  • when you found the right disk - copy the data to a temp directory on the admin host
  • unmount all disks again
  • power on the fileserver and restore the extracted data to the latest snapshot

This is just a rough overview without knowing the details.
I could help better if you post details - such as the last 2 or vmware.logs and the vmsd-file

0 Kudos
Satvinder
Contributor
Contributor

That is windows 2003 production server and we could not poweroff. For restoring data from snapshot we have tools  that's not a problem.

But I need to give HDD details to backup team so that they can mount required NAS device.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

there is a good chance that the D-drive maybe name _1.vmdk

0 Kudos