VMware Cloud Community
kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

How to check raid level throug command in esx4.0 CENTOS5.5

hi all,

my question is i have purchased a new hardware with 3 hard disk of 500 GB each but after installation of esx 4.0 it will show datastore of 980 GB where is my other hard disk and if it will create raid5 then how can i check it because its not possible for me to restart my machine physically and check it from bios because its on production enviornment so is there any other solution that how can i check raid level in ESX

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the ESX forum - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere/esx.

0 Kudos
kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

OK THANKS

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Souds right to me.

3 500 GB drives in a Raid 5 config should result in just shy of 1000 GB, which is what you got.  Dont forget, in R5 you lose 1 drive worth of space to parity.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

but how can i check that raid 5 is implemeted because i will never configure it after purchasing i have just installed esx server and when i check datastorage this will show 1000 GB so is there any command which i will give in esx server and cehck raid is implemented or not

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you have a controller that has a CIM provider you can check the RAID setup and status in Configuration > Health Status (or on the Hardware Status tab if you're using vCenter).  See the attached image as an example.

If your storage controller doesn't have a CIM provider then you have another concern as you can't check the health of the disks.

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

1) What kind of server do you have - that will dictate how you check.  Dell?  HP? Cisco?  IBM?

2) Theres no way that 3 500GB drives would show up as a single 980GB datastore UNLESS either RAID5 or RAID10+hotspare was enabled.  Most servers purchsed from a vendor with 3 drives would be configured by default from the factory with R5 (in my experience).

0 Kudos
kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

Supermicro X8DT6-F Server Motherboard

Intel® Xeon® processor 5600/5500 series, with QPI up to 6.4 GT/s

Intel® 5520 (Tylersburg) Chipset

Up to 192GB DDR3 1333/ 1066/ 800MHz ECC Registered DIMM

Dual Intel® 82574L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

6x SATA2 (3 Gbps) Ports via ICH10R Controller

3 (x8) PCI-E 2.0, 1 (x4) PCI-E 2.0 and 1 (x4) PCI-E slot

Integrated Matrox G200eW Graphics

LSI 2008 8-Port 6Gbps SAS Controller;

RAID 0, 1, 10; RAID 5 optional (AOC-SAS2-RAID5-KEY)

Integrated IPMI 2.0 with Dedicated LAN

SuperChassis 113TQ-563CB

560W High-efficiency Power Supply 80 PLUS, Gold Level Certified

8x Hot-swap 2.5" SAS/SATA HDD

Expansion slots: 1x Full-height & Full-length

4x 40x56mm counter-rotating fans,

Slim DVD ROM

This is my hardware specs

Thanks

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

You are very likely SOL then, as there is no CIM provider for that board.  You'll need to reboot. 

Though, its good to know that at least your disks are in SOME kind of RAID.

0 Kudos
kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Matt I know we have this option but I would like to do this work without restarting the machine thanks buddy for your help

Thanks

0 Kudos