VMware Cloud Community
xavipu
Contributor
Contributor

How to change guest os type ?

Hi,

vSphere 5.5

I don't know why, but i've created a VM using "Other Linux 64bit". Finally i've decided to install "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 64 bit" without changed the guest OS type.

Now when I'm trying to change this value (Other Linux..) by the real value "Red Hat ...." the system is not found.

There are any way to change this value without install the OS?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
6 Replies
john23
Commander
Commander

It is not allowing you to change the OS type in General option of the vm??

Poweroff the vm and try it

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
xavipu
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, but after do this, the VM don't start. Don't found the OS.

0 Kudos
john23
Commander
Commander

If you go for other Linux type whether it finds OS or not??

Thanks -A Read my blogs: www.openwriteup.com
0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

When you change os-type, some hardware settings are changed accordingly (i.e. storage-controller, disk-type, network-controller, etc.), because some are supported in particular OS. I'm not sure what your particular case is about, but very probably your boot-loader can not suddenly find other disk-type/controller it had been configured for during OS-installation.

I see three options:

1. do not change anything and let it be "other linux 64bit". It really does not make big difference. That "other linux" is something like "the most compatible hw-settings any linux-like OS should support".

2. change OS-type as you wish, then boot with installation/recovery-cd, but do not install OS again, just mount partitions and modify your boot-loader settings to reflect new disk/partition-path.

3. change OS-type as you wish, but edit VM-settings afterwards so that it keeps the old disk-type and controller (the same it had as "Other Linux 64bit")

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
xavipu
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you.

I'll think about what to do.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Select a virtual machine.

1. In the virtual machines and templates inventory tree, select a group of virtual machines and select a virtual machine from the list on the right.

2. Search for a virtual machine and select it from the search results list.

3 In the VM Hardware panel, click Edit Settings.

4 Click VM Options.

5 Click the General Options triangle to show the guest operating system options.

6 From the Guest OS drop-down menu, select the guest operating system family.

7 Select a guest operating system version.

8 If you selected Other (32-bit) or Other (64-bit), enter a name for the operating system in the text box.

Click OK.

0 Kudos