VMware Cloud Community
majidbaigs
Contributor
Contributor

How to calculate utilized vCPUs from my physical CPUs

Hi,

I have 10 ESX host with each server 12 Physical 3.07 Ghz CPUs, and each server is having 96 GB of memory.

Now the question is how many VMs i can create with the configuration of 4 Core and 4 GB memory? Below screenshot from one of our ESX server.

49562_49562.JPGEsx.JPG

Thanks

Mirza

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Sateesh_vCloud

Before going to finalize number of VM's - you need to answer list of questions:

1)   What is your fail over policy for ESXi? (How much capacity you want to reserve?)

Let us say 25% of CPU and 25% Memory

2)   How much growth you are expecting in next 1 year? (some times people ignore)

Let us say 10% of Total Capacity

3)   What is agreed peak usage in production?

Let us say 80% at any time

4)    What is the overhead memory in Cluster?

Let us say 5% of Total

Finally:         Total RAM = 10 x 96 GB    960 GB

80% peak usage = Usable memory is 768 GB

5% over head =  After over head around 720 GB

25% fail over =  After fail over it is 540 GB

10% growth = After growth around 496 GB

Total VM's = 496/4 = 124 VM's

NOTE: All these calculations are generic and you need to understand Customer requirements first and CPU is most of the time sufficient

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

Also, don't forget to size your storage accordingly,  swap space = configured memory - reservation.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos