VMware Cloud Community
Some_Guy_From_T
Contributor
Contributor

How to benchmark Memory Properly?

Hello - I am trying to bring my active memory on a vm to 100% for an extended period of time. I have used a couple of different tools to accomplish this, but from vSpheres perspective, the memory always gets released after a while. I do not want to disable DRS - I just want a tool that will simulate active memory use for at least 2 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MattiasN81
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I suggest you uninstall or disable VMware tools on the VM.

You also may need to tune how the OS handles Virtual Memory and Swap to get 100% memory utilization.

VMware Certified Professional 6 - DCV VMware VTSP Software Defined Storage Dell Blade Server Solutions - EMEA Certified Dell PowerEdge Server Solutions - EMEA Certfied Dell Certified Storage Deployment Professional Dell EMC Proven Professional If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Helpful or Correct
0 Kudos
Some_Guy_From_T
Contributor
Contributor

Hi - Let me explain my issue a little deeper:

I have multiple components of a solution that I wish to run as separate VM's on a single host. I want to tune the over subscription of each VM, so to do so, I will put 1 product VM on the host and the rest of the "product" VM's will be replaced by resource hogs, which will always utilize 100% of their resources. This way I can make sure the real product VM will never fail due to not having enough resources.

I can work out CPU fine - I have tools that max out the CPU usage (according the sphere and guest OS) but memory is trickier. When I run memory hogs they usually only max out around 70% of the system memory (According to vsphere) and 100% according to the guest OS. This in and of itself is an issue, but furthermore, even when guest OS is reporting 100% usage, vSphere is showing the memory usage dropping in steps (like the hypervisor is releasing this memory). I need to show vSphere memory utilization at 100% for at least 2 hours - but everything I try leads to the same place (vSphere reclaiming memory after maybe 10 minutes).

I looked into turning vmware tools off, but it doesn't look like there is any memory portion of vmware tools to turn off. Furthermore, in a real situation, vmware tools will always be runnings (so will DRS) so I don't really want to do that.

If you have any suggestions as to how to tune these numbers properly, please let me know. Thanks.

0 Kudos