VMware Cloud Community
Guardian1234
Contributor
Contributor

How to back up the ESXi-v5 host when in Lockdown Mode w/DCUI disabled?

Hi. I do have the host in full lockdown and registered w/a vCS (Windows based). Is there any means using vCS to directly perform the backup function or do I need an additional level of software from VMware or another 3rd party?

Thx.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know of any way to do this other than using the vicfg-cfgbackup command from the ESXi Shell, vMA or one of the other CLI options. I usually make a backup after the initial install and then after applying pathces.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Gleed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can use Host Profiles on the vCenter Server, but that requires Enterprise+ license.  Outside of Host Profile, the vicfg-cfgbackup through vMA/vCLI is likely your best bet for host backups.

0 Kudos
Guardian1234
Contributor
Contributor

OK, but the vicfg-cfgbackup can only:

Back up the host configuration

Reset/restore the host to factory settings

Restore a previously saved configuration

What I'm really looking for is whether or not there's a native tool for the creation of a full "system" backup similar to what's typically available on a UNIX system, IE: the host is built and backed up, the system (not the VM and or local host vSwitch) becomes corrupt and so a new install (not a configuration reload) is performed from a saved tape or network image?

Doesn't sound like this is possible with ESXi-v5? It sounds more like ESXi-v5 server software would have to be re-installed (perhaps even re-registered with the vCS) and then have a saved config restored?

Thx.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

It sounds more like ESXi-v5 server software would have to be  re-installed (perhaps even re-registered with the vCS) and then have a  saved config restored?

Yes, this is correct.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
Gleed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The lightweight architecture of ESXi really eliminates the need to do full host backups.  ESXi is only ~150MB (~300 if you include tools). This makes it very fast/easy to install.  Even if there were a way to do a full host backup, it would probably be easier to re-install the host oppose to trying to recover from a backup.  Also, note that ESXi is a dual-image hypervisor in that it stores two copies of the ESXi image at any one time.  If you install a patch and something breaks, you can press CTRL+R at the boot prompt during boot to have it automatically fall back to the last known good state.

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Gleed did you mean shift R?

During the boot process I only see ShiftR

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
Gleed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, that should be Shift+R.

0 Kudos