VMware Cloud Community
danail
Contributor
Contributor

How to automatically deploy from template

Hello, This is my first post in this forum so I'm not quite sure where to post that. So we have a Vcenter structure with lab manager > vcenter and so on. What i'm trying to achieve is to get a template, deploy it and then on that deployed virtual machine to install some software it is windows machine. For this i have used Vix api previously when i have connected only to a single ESX server. Now i'm trying to do that with LabManager web services apis also with vcente web services apis using sdk tools. Having a troubles because i'm missing the flow when i'm going through vcenter API. The first issue is that when i'm getting virtual machines the methods are ruturning the VM's for a given datacenter name that are in the root folder, but not the others in the child folders. Also the templates are not returned, only powered on machines. So the first question is how to find a folder and path to a folder to be used by Vsphere API. How to get the templates only and what permissions should have my user.

Which Web Service should i use because i'm confused. Vcenter or Labmanager. What is the flow when i need to perform Deploy from Template using those apis and then when the Virtual Machine gots ready to install some software on it for example MSI.

Thank you in advance.!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
raj196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

p> Hi danail,

Welcome to the community.

I will suggest to use Vcenter API .

For details please visit below link.

labs.vmware.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/.../autodeploy_fling.pdf

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"