VMware Cloud Community
sagar666
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to assign a 2 IP address to same esxi server

Hi ,

I connected to physical cables to esxi server i want to configure two different ip's to same esxi server to access one from public and another from private n/w.one cable already connected and running now want to assign another ip.Please tell me the steps

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Your ESX host should have two Nic and then  loging to ESX host using Vsphere client and then Under configuration Tab Click on Networking > under Vswitch 0 Properties> Add Vm kernel port and provide second IP....Done..

Your Oscar

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The Host server got 2 On board NIC and at the moment I've successsfully register the ESXi host on my vCenter and do everything else on my LAN network after disconnecting my other NIC connected to DMZ.

is this achievable in the real world ? considering both of the network got different IP address range and Subnet mask.

My understanding is that:

One vSwitch must have one IP address after that i can add one pNIC and then create VMNetwork and assign that VMNetwork into the VMs

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

A vSwitch does not need an IP address / VMkernel port, you can configure one if you'd like but it isn't needed. You can assign 2 IP's / create 2 VMkernel ports but in order to receive full connectivity, you might need to work with some static routes, as you can only set 1 default gateway.

0 Kudos