VMware Cloud Community
detailer310
Contributor
Contributor

How to add another NIC in VM for internet use?

Hello,

I have two NICs in ESXi host server, one is connected to access this host (obviously) and other one is empty. I have created VMs in which there is one NIC shown and i assigned static ip to it. How can i add another NIC in this VM to assign internet IPs so i can use internet (ADSL modem) in this VM?

Do i have to put network cable from modem to that empty NIC of host server? if yes then how can i add it into VM?

Thanks alot.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Busbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

First, you will need to make sure that this NIC is connected to the internet via a switch or a firewall and that it is physically located in the correct VLAN/Network segment.

second create a vswitch and a vnetwork and connect that VM to it, then you can assign the Internet IP to that VM.

Regards, Mahmoud Magdy Sn. Application Architect. Exchange Server MVP
0 Kudos
detailer310
Contributor
Contributor

you mean that second NIC which is currently empty right? Ok..once connected with physical switch for internet then what are the steps to create vswitch and vnetwork? actually im totally new to esxi and your help will be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
nrlparasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have to understand the networking on ESXi. for your reference for some understanding

http://vmfootprints.org/basic-virtual-networking/

or read vmware document for more detail understanding of networking in ESXi. http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

if you found this useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos
detailer310
Contributor
Contributor

Yes i have read that but that's confusing me. Please have a look at screenshot. Now how can i add another NIC to VM so i can use internet? What are the steps?

0 Kudos
nrlparasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

connect the second NIC of host to your Modem adsl.png, Connect to your host through you vSphere Client select your host, goto configuration tab-> select network link from Hardware pane, select add networking link, select to create a new Virtual machine connection, then select to create on a new vSwitch and select the same Second NIC (which is connected to your modem) as uplink.

once done, edit your VM setting and select to add second virtual NIC to your VM and associate it to new port group created on the new vSwitch.

From Guest OS assign IP address to the new virtual NIC.

if you found this useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"
0 Kudos