VMware Cloud Community
rhishimagdum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to add SATA controller in ESXi 5.5

I have created a virtual appliance (router) on VirtualBox. It has a SATA controller which is supported on VirtualBox. Now when I am importing the VM on ESXi 5.5, it is throwing me an error that the controller is unknown. Import works fine if I change it to SCSI but the VM gives problem with SCSI.

When I tried to create the new  VM from ESXi client , I didn't observe any option for adding SATA controller. The only option available is SCSI Controller.

As per  vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center  , there should be an option for the same. From vSphere client, I am directly connected to the ESXi Server. Do I need to install vSphere Server for having that option ?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
eddzta
Contributor
Contributor

Have you made sure the VM is in ESXi 5.5 or later compatibility mode?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Discussion moved from QuickStart Series to VMware ESXi 5

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How are you importing the VM? Via OVA? This only works using the Web Client, as all new feautres (SATA controller is considered a new feature) are available in the Web Client, which means you will need to have vCenter Server. (Simply roll out test version of appliance on the host, add the host and do the import, afterwards delete the appliance again. No license fee needed to get what you want, appliance runs fine with 4GB RAM configured for that purpose).

0 Kudos
rhishimagdum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm importing OVF (I've converted OVA to OVF). I have made require changes to make import successful.  But the changes are affecting my VM's file system as it supports SATA.

I have downloaded vSphere server 5.5 , do I need to re install ESXi ? or can I install only vSphere server and web client ?

Is it possible to install only vSphere web client and connect it to ESXi ?

0 Kudos
rhishimagdum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I tried importing VM with web client but still I am getting following error\

Line 48: OVF hardware element 'Resource Type' with instance ID '3' :No support for virtual hardware device type 20.

0 Kudos
eddzta
Contributor
Contributor

Sounds like the .OVF Hardware is trying to use SATA controllers,

Try editing the .OVF file using a text editor (I prefer Notepad++) and changing the following lines

<Item>

<rasd:Address>0</rasd:Address>

<rasd:Caption>sataController0</rasd:Caption>

<rasd:Description>SATA Controller</rasd:Description>

<rasd:ElementName>sataController0</rasd:ElementName>

<rasd:InstanceID>5</rasd:InstanceID>

<rasd:ResourceSubType>AHCI</rasd:ResourceSubType>

<rasd:ResourceType>20</rasd:ResourceType>

</Item>

into this item:

<Item>
        <rasd:Address>0</rasd:Address>
        <rasd:Caption>SCSIController</rasd:Caption>
        <rasd:Description>SCSI Controller</rasd:Description>
        <rasd:ElementName>SCSIController</rasd:ElementName>
        <rasd:InstanceID>5</rasd:InstanceID>
        <rasd:ResourceSubType>lsilogic</rasd:ResourceSubType>
        <rasd:ResourceType>6</rasd:ResourceType>
      </Item>

Source: http://www.itsecurenet.com/virtualbox-ova-to-vsphere-ovf/

0 Kudos
rhishimagdum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did that already. If I change the controller, my VM doesn't work properly. VM only works with SATA controller.

0 Kudos
eddzta
Contributor
Contributor

As mentioned previously by Frank Buechsel, you need to edit the VM Settings using the vSphere Web Client, as all new features in ESXi 5.5 are managed using this interface. This should allow you to add/modify to use a SATA controller.

EDIT: Read your previous update saying you have tried to deploy using the web client, apologies!

Can you let us know what happens when you try to edit the VM settings within the web client?

0 Kudos
rhishimagdum
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am not able to import the VM so can not modify it Smiley Sad

0 Kudos