VMware Cloud Community
TammytheGreat
Contributor
Contributor

How to access esxi 6.5 (free version) externally/remotely

How do i access esxi 6.5 free version externally (i.e. from a network or even another location like out of state or something like that) with another windows pc??

5 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you’re on same network then open https://hostname/ui

Or IP, if any firewall is in network you’re trying to from behind, you may need to open port 80,443,902 and 903.

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Let me also chime in and add that exposing your ESXi host to the Internet or another large-scoped network is a very bad idea and should be avoided. If you want to access the host client remotely, it's best to use some sort of jump box in the same network and not give direct access to the host itself.

TammytheGreat
Contributor
Contributor

Okay that's nice to know BUT i'm not always in the same building city or even state as my server and I need access to it as much as possible. mind you it's in my bedroom and the only one who has the key (and the knowledge to use it let alone a computer period) is me and I don't want to spend $$$ hiring someone to maintain them since I don't make any $$ whatsoever off of it and i'm on a really small fixed income (if I weren't i'd buy a commercial licence esxi and a more powerful server array) and I kinda need to work on things and monitor things when I'm on the go. so it'd be a reeeeeeealy nice thing if someone could help me figure this out. please and thanks.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Run a small Windows VM on your ESXi host. Put it on the same network segment as the host's management vmkernel port. Use a secure, remote-access technology of your choice to remote into that Windows VM. Launch a web browser to connect to and manage your ESXi host.

vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You’re right, I wasn’t mean to expose it in this way. We have multiple networks with firewall and I have wrote in that context. For accessing it outside networks, I would setup jumbox and setup vpn.