VMware Cloud Community
spikfrank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How to Enable MAC Address Spoofing in ESXi 7.0 vSwitch

Setup: I have a nested VM setup where I have a Hyper-V 2016 host running on top of ESXi 7.0, for a lab environment. The nested VM's are running just fine.

Problem: The nested VM's can only ping/communicate with their host. They cannot ping anything outside of the host, not even the NAT firewall they successfully receive DHCP addresses from.

I found this document from Microsoft that shows how to properly setup a nested VM environment: Nested Virtualization | Microsoft Docs

In that document, I believe it highlights a setting that is probably the source of my problem. It says I need to configure Mac Address Spoofing at the level 1 virtual switch. But it only shows how to do that in Hyper-V.

So I need to know how to enable Mac Address Spoofing on a ESXi 7.0 virtual switch.

Any ideas?

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

MAC Address Changes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

MAC Address Changes

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You should configure the security settings on the port group rather than on vSwitch level because on the PG you can override or inherit the settings from the vSwitch.

Regards,
Joerg

spikfrank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response.

It seems "Allow Mac Address Changes" was already set to Yes.

So now that makes the source of my problem a bigger mystery.

0 Kudos
spikfrank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fixed it. I had to enable promiscuous mode on the virtual switch.

0 Kudos