VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

How many shares do VMs receive which are not in a resource pool?

I have the following resource pool configuration on a cluster:

resource pool 1: normal - 10,000 shares, 10 vms, no limits, no reservations

resource pool 2: normal - 10,000 shares, 5 vms, no limits, no reservations

Then there are 2 vms NOT in either resource pool on the cluster.  These vms do not have any configuration for shares, limits, reservations, etc.

If I experience contention, how many shares will the 2 vms receive that are NOT in a resource pool?  How will they be prioritized relative to the other vms in the resource pools?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
FL0G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. The number of VMs inside a resource pool does not affect any other pools or virtual machines outside this pool. 10000 shares are 10000 shares, no matter how much vms are inside that pool.

2. If you do not change anything your vm has automatically 1000 shares per CPU. To answer the question you have to know how the number of vcpus from the vms outside the pool.

Example, assuming they have 1vCPU:

pool 1: 10.000 shares

pool 2: 10.000 shares

vm 1: 1000 shares

vm 2: 1000 shares

That is: 22.000 shares total

makes about 4-5% for both vms.

PS: Check the "Resource Allocation" tab from your Cluster and it will tell you exact what you have asked.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

TO build on Flog's example - I am going to leave it generic because Shares work the same for all resources -

Between the two reource pools and two VMs you will a total pool of 22000 Shares - when there is contention between all four the resource will be split as follows - the two reourse pools each will be getting 10000/22000 of the available resource  and the two VMs each will be getting 1000/22000 of the available resource -

Key thing to remember is shared only come into play when there is contention -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'd say it depends on the VM's virtual machines' configuration, i.e. how many vCPUs are configured. Frank Denneman wrote a couple of blog posts about this (e.g. http://frankdenneman.nl/2012/05/09/mixing-resource-pools-and-virtual-machines-on-the-same-hierarchic...) which explain how resources are computed with siblings (resource pools and VMs on the same level).

André

0 Kudos