VMware Cloud Community
cosy
Contributor
Contributor

How many more VM's Can be Provisioned.

HI All,

I have ESXi 5.0 Cluster with two ESXi Host with following configurations.

HOST 1

host1.pnghost1r.png

HOST 2

host2.pnghost2r.png

What will happen if one of the host goes down?

Do i need to add new host asap or what is the best option to go with?

Anyone got Excel Template to Add VM's and calculate the resources to monitor?

cosy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander

Hi Cosy,

Have a look at the admission control setting in this PDF to help you understand your options;

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmw-vsphere-high-availability.pdf

Depending on your requirements, you can ensure that all your VM's failover to the other host or over provision and only bring up your critical systems ... so it really depends on your requirements. If one host fails then HA will automatically restart VM's on the other host, but you obviously need enough resources available on a single host to run all your VM's (the obvious restriction of a 2 node cluster).

Expanding the infrastructure is always a nice option, but design it around your requirements rather than just throw money at it Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Jon

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

It looks like you have HA configured so if a host goes down they should be started again on the other host.

If you only have 2 hosts and 1 goes down then you will loose your redundancy and fixing/replacing the failed host should be a priority.

HA will not allow you to power on more VM:s then it can fail over (assuming that you have not removed that checkbox)

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Ace007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In your case, there is chance of VMs to fail if one host fails and other has maximum load on it. Best option would be to add one more new host joined into the HA Cluster.

I was having similar kind of situation, i had added one more host.

0 Kudos
cosy
Contributor
Contributor

HA will not allow you to power on more VM:s then it can fail over (assuming that you have not removed that checkbox) ?

You mean admission control disable?

0 Kudos