VMware Cloud Community
kappyninewood
Contributor
Contributor

How many Virtual machines can be restarted simultaneously with HA

failure with vSphere 4.0?  I'm trying to determine how long it would take and what the advantages\disadnatages would be of adding more VMs to hosts. I don't want to have to wait to long to have al my vms to come up...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You can prioritize the start priority of the VMs so that the critical VMs will start first - I am not sure if there is a fixed number of VMs that can restart simultaneously because it is all dependent on the resources available in the cluster 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
PduPreez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I'm not sure about the exact number, but 25 or 32 rings a bell.

Just keep in mind HA will start VMs according to priority.

advantages\disadnatages would be of adding more VMs to hosts

Running more VMs per host means you get more value out of the investment on the Tin.

So the more the better as long as the host can handle it (have enough recourses) and there are no bottlenecks (storage/network/compute)

Running a HA cluster you always need to bare in mind that there should be enough capacity to run VMs from a failed host.

Your HA Admission control setting assists you in keeping the balance to allow for the failure you specify. 1host 2 hosts or percentage

Please award points for correct/helpful answers Smiley Happy