VMware Cloud Community
nickyallstar
Contributor
Contributor

How many Clusters in vSphere vCenter?

We already know vCenter cluster can hold upto 32 ESX4 hosts and 200 (x32) VM's according to Conf_max4.

Does anyone know how many Clusters can be created in a vCenter? Whats the maximum limit?

Thanks

Vivek S

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I don't know what the max number is, but I would be inclined to just look at the max of powered on VM's. Do you plan to try and see how many clusters you can get or is this just a general question?

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40/vsp_40_config_max.pdf

nickyallstar
Contributor
Contributor

At the moment I am just curious about this, because no information is given anywhere on Internet too. I am planning to implement and try it though but not now, don't have enough cash on me.

Thanks for the pdf I already have it.

Question is still the same....how many maximum clusters in vCenter?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I think it will be you will hit your configuration max of Vm's per vCenter before you will ever get close to the number of maximum clusters, but.....

either way, why worry about maximums regarding clusters, there are so many other things you need to concentrate on, in particular disk I/O

0 Kudos
JoMa201110141
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering about this myself and after reading the Configuration Maximums I concur with Troy that you will hit the VM maximum on a vCenter before you ever hit a maximum cluster setting, which I do not believe exists.  For argument's sake you could calculate the maximum number of clusters dependent on how many hosts you have in each cluster.  Using the guide for vSphere 4.1, a vCenter can have a maximum of 1,000 hosts and a cluster can be as little as 2 hosts or as big as 32 hosts, so in essence I believe you could conceviably have 500 clusters of two hosts, 10 clusters of 32 hosts, and any number in between if you wanted to as long as you didn't exceeed the vCenter VM maximum of 10,000 powerd-on VMs.

0 Kudos
kabeer
Contributor
Contributor

HA Cluster can work with minimum of 3 ESX host and maximum of 32 host. vCenter server can host maximum upto 100 ESX host. Divide the number of 100 host and build your cluster.

==> KABEER SIDDIQUI

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

From the Config Maximums, the most hosts you can have in a VC - is when using linked mode - so 1000 Linked mode hosts per VC.

Assuming you're having a host in each cluster, you could feasibly create 1000 Clusters, each containing 1 host - but it would be pointless.

If you want 3 host clusters, to enable HA, you would be limited to 33 clusters per VC (100 host limit on the actual VC) - and then when going linlked mode, introduce the remaining hosts -  (so 9 more x 33)

So HA clusters would be a total of 330!

But of course, this is all just 'theoretical' and the scenario pretty pointless.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos