VMware Cloud Community
mathpal
Contributor
Contributor

How i can host the Esxi over Public IP .

Hi everyone,

Recently i have hosted an Esxi sever in my Organisation  which is accessible over  private IP successfully.

But now My company wants to access that server on Public IP ,so for that i had Done Some NAT settings on router .But the problem is that the public IP is accessible  from Putty software but that same IP is not opening on Browser.

Please suggest if you have any solution for this Problem.

6 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

No, you should ​never​ expose ESXi or vCenter to the public internet. Go back and tell your organization that they need to use VPN or some other private access method if they want to open that up to others.

mathpal
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for  early reply  but can you tell how can I  use VPN and how I can it be  installed  over esxi.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

VPN is a broad subject as it is a networking issue. It doesn't get installed on ESXi, it gets enabled elsewhere in the network. I'd suggest going to Google to figure out how to plan your VPN strategy.

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Just for a better understanding: why would you need an hypervisor published to the internet?
That's a security concern.

If what they want is the VMs, it can be done trough NAT.
If they want to provision VMs on demand, it can be done trough other services.
Elsewhere, you will need a VPN.

0 Kudos
mathpal
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I am bounded to use only NAT option .I had done the configuration over modem ,but the main problem occur that is that public IP is only accessible only with that ISP which had provided that public IP and not on other ISP Network.

So what is the exact cause?.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Maybe your ISP limited some port forwarding or some services are restricted by them (you should call them before doing any further action)

Is it possible to grant access via a demand-dial or VPN connection to your corporate network from outside? I know you may believe it's not a good solution but it's not bad to check access to the ESXi from outside or use two back-to-back firewalls: one of them to connect from the internet, and another one for the NAT definition.

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos