VMware Cloud Community
AllisDodd25
Contributor
Contributor

How does vmware identify the cluster to choose using Clone Virtual Machine?

Hello guys,

when using Clone Virtual Machine in VMware ESXi how does this functionability know which hosts to deploy in the cluster using the option "Run the virtual machine in a cluster with DRS automatic placement"??  could you please explain me how does it work?

Thank you!

Tags (3)
3 Replies
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Just guessing.....

A Template and also a powered of VM is always registered on a single Host. So i expect thats the Host which do the work. IIRC you have to select a target (cluster/ressource pool or Host) within the cloning wizard.

When it comes to power the VM on an DRS Automated enabled Cluster the DRS calculates which is the best suitable Host when is does comes to load, number of VM, DRS Rules and so on.

Regards,
Joerg

BarryUWSEFS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I believe it just means you select the cluster, and DRS decides which host to run the machine on based on resource utilization. When using vSphere client to clone, even on a DRS cluster you can choose a host, but DRS might eventually move it anyways. On a non-DRS cluster you have to choose a host, rather than just select the cluster.

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Step 2. in the cloning wizard is select a computing resource and valid options are (DRS?)Cluster, Hosts and Ressourcepools.

Regards,

Joerg