VMware Cloud Community
pwallace
Contributor
Contributor

How do you scroll up in a virtual machine console window?

I am unable to scroll in my vm console windows. Linux is my OS but I am thinking that should not matter. Running version 4 of ESXi and vSphere.

Attached is a screen capture of my console window saved as a windows doc file.

Thanks,

Pippin

0 Kudos
13 Replies
devzero
Expert
Expert

that looks like a linux issue not lika a vmware issue to me. seems your linux didn`t completely boot to a login-prompt.

0 Kudos
pwallace
Contributor
Contributor

devzero, you are correct about the state of the system however, here is an image of the vm console window of a fully loaded system and I have the same issues.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What do you mean by scroll.

On the screens you showed, neither console window is located at a spot where A:, you need to scroll to see more of the screen (console window too small), or B, you need to scroll through the command history?

Little confused to what you are expecting. Looking at the screenshot looks exactly like it would if I were if it were a physical machine with a keyboard/mouse attached it it...

0 Kudos
pwallace
Contributor
Contributor

Rumple, good point. I have attached another pic after a yum update and for example I would like to see what happened above the Cleanup line but I can not scroll up or page up in the vm console window and that is what I am looking for help on.

Thanks for the clarification question.

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

did you switch to another VT while that was running in the background?

afaik, that cleans the scrollback buffer on some? linux distros (if not all)

not a vmware issue !!!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The VI client is useful for adding Virtual machines but for daily management other more appropriate tools. Use SSH or vnc for linux, terminal services (RDP) client or vnc for windows.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
pwallace
Contributor
Contributor

DSTAVERT, I am with you on there are better tools. Would you recommend another way to view the following? When I am kickstarting a vm and problems arise before the vm is fully kickstarted I want to view what has transpired but cannot view beyond what is on the vm console screen for I cannot scroll back or page up. Might there be a better way to view the console output from a vm kickstart?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

dmesg should show what happened during a boot.

0 Kudos
pwallace
Contributor
Contributor

Yah, but it does not fully boot. I am encoutering problems when kickstarting the vm and it does not finish the kickstart. Where it hangs I want to scroll back up the terminal output and see what errors were thrown but this is where I am stuck because I cannot scroll in the vm counsle. Is there another why to view the console output of a vm other than the vm console via ESXi?

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert

>Yah, but it does not fully boot. I am encoutering problems when kickstarting the vm and it does not finish the kickstart

what do you do if you kickstart a physical box and have a problem? are you able to scroll back there? i`m very sure that it behaves the same there and i`d wonder if this is a vmware issue.

you should ask on a linux forum.

maybe netconsole is something for you - have a look at http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/networking/n...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Is there another why to view the console output of a vm other than the vm console via ESXi?

I just tried VNC but it looks like the vnc support doesn't exist in ESXi. It was a great to have in GSX and Server and may still exist in ESX.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Yah, but it does not fully boot. I am encoutering problems when kickstarting the vm and it does not finish the kickstart.

Boot from your rescue CD. Once you are chrooted you should be able to use dmesg.

I have used physical machines to make an initial install and then used converter to create the virtual machine.

0 Kudos
pwallace
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks DSTAVERT, Great idea! I will use this however I was hoping for some cool trick to get a vm console to scroll back even if it required some contorted emacs key combo.

0 Kudos