bug_juice
Contributor
Contributor

How do i properly rebuild vSwitch0?

Hi,

I’ve never been a fan of the name vSwitch0, so as part of my scripted installations, I delete vSwitch0 and rebuild it with a more user friendly name.  While this has never been a problem, I recently just started doing nested ESXi installs to test my scripted installs vs doing them directly on bare-metal.  What I’m seeing before I delete vSwitch0, vmk0 (Network Management) and vmnic0 both have the same MAC address:

# esxcfg-nics –l

vmnic0  … 00:0c:29:b3:c9:80 …<omitted for clarity>

# esxcfg-vmknic –l

vmk0       Management Network  … 00:0c:29:b3:c9:80 …<omitted for clarity>

But after I delete vSwitch0 and re-create it with a more friendly user name I get:

# esxcfg-nics –l

vmnic0  … 00:0c:29:b3:c9:80 …<omitted for clarity>

# esxcfg-vmknic –l

vmk0       Management Network  … 00:50:56:7a:e5:31 …<omitted for clarity>

I don’t see this a being an issue but on my bare-metal ESXi host, I now have to have “Promiscuous Mode” set to “accept” on the vSwitch that is providing the network to my nested ESXi host or I can’t get to it via IP.

If I use the “Reset System Configuration” from the console of the nested ESXi host, it rebuilds vSwitch0, I modify it to have a static IP, and after checking the MACs again, both vmnic0 and vmk0 have the same MAC and I don’t need to have “Promiscuous Mode” set to “accept” anymore.

So how can I rebuild vSwitch0 from the CLI, and have both vmnic0 and vmk0 use the same MAC?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
0 Replies