VMware Cloud Community
jkoelker
Contributor
Contributor

How do I upload the mbrtools.tar.gz file into my esx host from my windows server?

I know I should know this but I really don't have to work with linux at all and everything I do with vsphere is through the gui typically. So can someone tell me how I actually import/upload my mbrtools.tar.gz file I downloaded into my esx box. I would assume I ssh into the esx host with putty but then which directory do I go in and what commands do I use? How do I extract it once it is in there? Thanks for helping the new guy.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

VI client or

wintcp : http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

you must first connect direct to the ESX host with VI client, create a local user account like user or your name.  Make sure you ADD that user to the root users group.

With VI client you can browse the datastore (for the local on ESX host) use the upload files to copy it to the server.  Then login with putty (easy to find on Google, its like a 1 meg file).  Putty allows you login with SSH to that ESX host using the user name you created.

Then to RUN that file you have su - to root.  su + '-' changes you to the root user, since you can't login to ESX host directly as root you must login as a user then switch to root.

cd to the folder where your file is on the datastore cd /volumes/vmfs/localdatastore

copy the file to /tmp.  cp <filename> /tmp

cd to /tmp

chmod on that file this will make the file executable chmod a+x <filename>

then run it.. or extract it tar -xvf will extract .tar files, if they are in zip format tar -xvzf will extract ZIP files.

schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

you can use the free programm "winSCP" to copy the file via ssh to the esx host. You can extract it via winscp-gui or use putty and extract the file with "tar -xzf mbrtools.tar.gz".

Regards