VMware Cloud Community
suhana_zoho
Contributor
Contributor

How do I update vm hostname, UUID from ESXI host or via ssh?

I am using ESXi 6.7  and 6.5 versions. How can I change the hostname and UUID (instanceUUID ) of the vms on my ESXi host. When I run the command hostname in one of the linux vms , it returns a valid value. However, the hostname is not set in the guest info.
I have checked usinf MOB and vim-cmd vmsvc/get.guest <vmid> | grep hostName command

How do I set and edit these values.

5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Please post to the area of the forum for the product you are using - the Code of Conduct will give you more guidance.

Thread moved to the vSphere area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

"the hostname is not set in the guest info"

Do you mean that you expect the Linux OS hostname to appear in the vSphere Client as an attribute of the VM?

Have you installed VMware Tools in the VM's OS?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
suhana_zoho
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Scott,I have moved it to ESXI

0 Kudos
suhana_zoho
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to edit the Linux OS hostname  via webaccess to the ESXi/ or the Linux OS hostname to appear in the guestInfo - hostName field.

Works both ways.

I need this info because I working on a web Application to discover and inventory ESXi servers and their vms

I am new to VMWare, forgive my ignorance.

I haven't installed vmware tools on the vm.

I need to change the instanceUUID too.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need to Install VMware Tools - here's how: VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos