VMware Cloud Community
jasonsfa98
Contributor
Contributor

How do I simulate a WAN inside a LAN for remote office server setup?

I need to send 3 vmWare ESXi servers (hosts) to thee locations around the world. Each host will have 3-5 guest VMs performing various tasks. Each host will live behind a firewall configured with a branch office VPN tunnel back to our HQ. Each remote office will have it's own private network configured so that it does not match any other IP/Subnet of other remote offices. Pretty basic.

I want to simulate the WAN environment so that I can setup all the guest VMs here before sending them off to their future homes. Specifically, I want to test communication from server-to-server and make sure they can talk while on different subnets. I know that the firewall/VPN setup will allow this but I'd like to test it before it's thousands of miles away.

HQ Network

172.16.0.0/16

Remote Office Network 1

192.168.1.0/24

Remote Office Network 2

192.168.2.0/24

Remote Office Network 3

192.168.3.0/24

Remote Office Network 4

192.168.4.0/24

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
iw123
Commander
Commander

You might want to look at setting something up with some virtual routers, using something like Vyatta.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers
0 Kudos
Busbar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you can deploy a 2 Windows Machines with 2 NICs and configure routing between them, if you want to go fancy you can try doing with with Cisco simulator like GNS3

Regards, Mahmoud Magdy Sn. Application Architect. Exchange Server MVP
0 Kudos