VMware Cloud Community
Cannoli
Contributor
Contributor

How do I retain my ESXi Host system logs?

Background: ESXi 4.1u1 Free Licenses

It seems my event log files are purged over time.  How do I make sure those log files are retained for at least 1 year?  Is there a roll over ability so the log files don't go over a certain size?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

You could send them off to a syslog server and retain them there.  There are several free implementations that work well.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can also use the vi-logger capability of the vMA to pull those logs from your host - http://xtravirt.com/using-vma-your-esxi-syslog-server.

nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Cannoli,

As previously posted yes use a syslog server.

You can configure this via vCenter.

You can log them to a VMFS volume, configured at ESX host level this can be very cumbersome depending on the number of hosts you have.

Look at Advanced settings/Syslog for each ESX Host you have.

However my personal favorite as it allows you to easily manage all logging for each Host is to use the vMA, this has been designed to retain the logs for a longer time and allows you to TAIL logs for troubleshooting etc.

Its a free appliance and you only require the one appliance. It not only gives you log collection but also more management functionality of your environment.

Simon Long has an excellent article, thanks Simon, on setting up the vMA as a Syslog for ESXi, This also give you the SSH access to the ESX servers and is the way I would recommend you collect and maintain your logs.

If you require a longer retention period you will need to either add extra disk storage for your logs or you could automatically copy the logs form the vMA to a corporate file share, I'm sure you can work that much out Smiley Happy.

Good luck

I hope this helps.

Nathan

Nathan VCP
Cannoli
Contributor
Contributor

THank you.  I found that link just moments after posting this thread.  I'll give it a shot tomorrow.  Do you have a link to download the vMA allpiance? I don't have internet access on the network where my ESXi servers live.

0 Kudos
nathanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this

It can also route to the VLAN, it is good to have internet access to the vMA for getting updates but not a requirement.

Please let us know how you go.

Nathan VCP
0 Kudos